Considering going outside of the United States or Canada for your surrogacy journey? Before you do, read MHB's guidelines for safe and ethical surrogacy practices to protect yourself, your surrogate, and your future child. The guidelines, developed by an independent legal advisory committee, recommends what intended parents should take into consideration when considering surrogacy abroad, and whom should they consult with. Read More...
On Thursday, April 19, we held a special meeting in NY to discuss the future of our Men Having Babies network. The group of volunteers who participated agreed unanimously on the following agenda:
- We will start the process of incorporating as a nonprofit organization.
- We will raise funds through event and website sponsorships + raise funds directly.
- The funds will first serve to continue to develop our workshops, events and online resources.
- We will add advocacy to promote greater understanding and acceptance of surrogacy as one of the network’s goals.
- We will work towards establishing a fund to provide financial assistance to gay men who want to become surrogacy dads!
Read more about the meeting and next steps. And mark your calendars: next meeting to discuss the future of the organization is Wednesday, May 16
, 6:30pm in NY (details soon). Read More...
In our recent meeting some questions were asked about the amount and terms of the adoption tax credit LGBT parents can receive in the 2011 and 2012 tax years. We asked attorney Melissa Brisman to provide clarifications. It appears that in the 2012 tax year the amount is slightly lower and cannot be used to get a refund if you do not owe taxes, but for the first time the credit can be carried forward for additional 5 years. Read More...